I have explored my yarn options for this project, so now it is time to talk about the tools I’ll be using for this Great Undertaking! Let’s start with the needles.
I wouldn’t say that I am particularly picky when it comes to my knitting needles, but my preference is definitely metal. I find that my stitches get stuck (don’t slip easily) on wooden needles and I don’t like the feel of plastic needles. So maybe I am a bit picky after all, haha.
When I started this project, I knew that I needed to love my needles as I would be working with them for a LONG time. While working on version 2 of this project, I stumbled upon some lovely square DPNs from Kollage. I liked the weight of them and the square edges made the needles easier to grasp and move quickly. The only square needles I had though were the wrong size (sizes 4 and 5 – closer to the original size called for in the pattern).
As I had decided that I was going with smaller needles this time around, it was clearly apparent that it was time for new needles! I originally thought of going as small as size 0 needles, but after completing one puff, I knew that was too small so I decided to split the different and go with size 2 (2.75 mm)
Now it’s not like I don’t have any tiny DPN needles, but I simply had to have square needles!
In any case, I found some lovely cubic needles from Knitter’s Pride during my trip to Webs yarn store last weekend. (Webs didn’t carry the Kollage needles and I was certainly NOT leaving that store without a suitable substitute – the needle section is much too large for that!). Not only are they just like the Kollage needles, they were about half the price too! I currently have puff #2 on these needles as I type.